Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Training the Trainer - my 3 Days at our convention


Last week I attended the annual Dale Carnegie International Convention in Vancouver. I got a reminder of Dale Carnegie's principle 17, "Try to honestly see things from other person point of view." The entire time I am there I am amazed at the incredible people I meet and the wealth of knowledge I try to absorb from them. I am inspired when I get back to the office to hit the ground running and implement the new ideas I picked up. I have a new found confidence in my ability to get things done. After 3 days of nonstop information bombardment I am really ready to go home as my brain can only hold so much.

As a facilitator of our 3 Day Leadership Training for Managers program I see this happening to my class participants as well. I feel so proud to be in the position of helping the class participants meet and learn from the other amazing participants. At the end of the 3 days I am always sad because I can tell everyone is itching for the class to be over with. My experience at convention is a reminder to me that, just because the participants are ready to go, it's not because they found no value. Its actually because they found so much value that they are ready to put it to good use and any more class interferes with that happening.

So what am I excited about that I picked up at convention? Well the theme this year was our Competency Based Development System and our iMap Corporate Solutions Model. These are new products and methodologies that were only rolled out a year ago and have already become a staple of our organization. These tools help us to speak the language of our customers. The iMap is designed to take us through the process of designing a program that provides the solution the customer really needs. There are 5 phases in this process: intent, inquire, involve, innovate, and impact. Intent: Understanding the customers strategic vision. Inquire: Understanding the current situation and what needs to change to reach the intent. Involve: The proper way to use assessments to determine the alignment around the vision and the competency gaps. Innovate: Design customized programs that blend competency development with attitudinal change and align emotional intelligence with corporate initiatives. Impact: Ingrain long-term behavior change to achieve corporate objectives.

I can't wait until Dale Carnegie Colorado and the business community we cover are benefiting from the solutions we can provide them using these tools!

No comments: